Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Flywheel - Building Okanagan - When do you need an Engineer

I am often asked when should an engineer come on board for a residential project. Unfortunately there is no clear answer. The best solution is to first speak with your local building authority. Some require a soils and structural engineer for anything bigger than a two car garage while other more rural areas have are more willing to do some calculation leg work. A rule of thumb would be to obtain a soils engineer for any type of addition or new build and a structural engineer for anything over $50k in value. It is better to be safe than sorry.

The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (APEGBC) have created two documents that may offer clarification of when an engineer should be required and who is responsible for what.

Guideline to professional services

Guidelines for Housing

For more information contact

200-4010 Regent Street
Burnaby, BC V6C 6N2
Direct: 604-412-4853 Toll Free: 1-888-430-8035 Ext. 4853

No comments: